Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chicken Adobo

I'm continually surprised and grateful for what can be accomplished using the treasures
from my freezer and pantry (^_^)
Adapted from NYT Article by SAM SIFTON 
Originally Published: January 5, 2011
1 cup coconut milk [I didn’t have any so I used water]
¼ cup soy sauce [I used Bragg Liquid Aminos...more like tamari (pure soy, no wheat) & better tasting than most mass produced soy sauces]
1½ cup rice vinegar [I used Filipino Raw Coconut Vinegar]
12 garlic cloves, peeled
3 whole bird’s-eye chilies or other fiery chili [I used serranos from the freezer...they had been charred]
3 bay leaves
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper [I chose freshly ground white pepper...seems to be traditional in Asia...a little brighter & more pungent]
3 to 4 pounds chicken thighs. [I used chicken wings from the freezer]
1. Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large, nonreactive bowl or resealable plastic freezer bag. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours. [I marinated mine about 4-6 hours]
2. Place chicken and marinade in a large lidded pot or Dutch oven over high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, around 30 minutes. [Since I was using wings I only simmered about 20 minutes]
3. Heat broiler. Transfer chicken pieces to a large bowl, raise heat under the pot to medium-high, and reduce the sauce until it achieves almost the consistency of cream, [obviously it didn’t look like cream without the coconut milk] about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and chiles.
 4. Place chicken pieces on a roasting pan and place under broiler for 5 to 7 minutes, until they begin to caramelize. Remove, turn chicken, baste with sauce and repeat, 3 to 5 minutes more [the wings are smaller & only needed a few minutes on each side].
Return chicken to sauce and cook for a few minutes more, then place on a platter and drizzle heavily with sauce.
[I served it with steamed white rice & Kashmiri collard greens from the freezer]
Serves four. 
Sam Sifton originally adapted this from Amy Besa and Romy Dorotan, Purple Yam restaurant, Brooklyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment